At SCIS, we focus on developing the whole student. Aside from the emphasis we place on academics, we also believe it is important to focus on the fine arts, physical education and community service.
Our education is individualized whereby we respect that each student has certain strengths and weaknesses, which need to be highlighted and improved upon respectively.
Supportive Learning Environment
We make the school fit the student, not the other way around. To support these goals, we focus on creating highly interactive classrooms and offering a wide variety of art, sports and leadership activities as part of our extracurricular program, as well as annual service projects.
We will be defined as a school of excellence by each of the constituents of our school community and the Shanghai expatriate populations. We envision…
- a diverse student population from around the world
- a system in which every student has equal opportunities for success and for university admission, based on a variety of performance indicators
- a system meeting the needs of individual learners, rather than making the learner fit the system
- a system that allows students to achieve standards through inquiry-based, conceptual learning in motivating, authentic environments
- students who will be well-rounded, community contributors armed with the academic and personal skills to succeed in the adult world and who see the relevance and purpose in their learning
- staff who feel a high degree of purpose, job satisfaction, pride, and personal growth
- parents who feel informed, valued, and satisfied
- a strong connection to the Shanghai community and the perception that SCIS represents ‘excellence’
Established in 1996 as one of Shanghai’s first international schools, Shanghai Community International School (SCIS) is a non-profit educational day school, governed by a self-perpetuating board of directors and overseen by the International Schools Foundation. SCIS has three campuses spread across Shanghai, including locations in Puxi and Pudong, and offers a seamless international program for students age two to eighteen.
SCIS is accredited through the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and authorized as an International Baccalaureate (IB) Continuum World School. Additionally, SCIS is a member of the East Asia Regional Conference of Overseas Schools (EARCOS) and the Association of China and Mongolia International Schools (ACAMIS).
With over twenty years of rich tradition, SCIS offers a truly unique international experience. The SCIS community is unparalleled, consisting of a diverse mix of outstanding teachers, students, and parents representing over sixty nationalities and thirty-five languages, across six continents. SCIS leverages this unique community to provide a personalized approach to holistic education, ensuring all students have the opportunity to be successful.
As an IB World School, SCIS provides a full continuum of programs from Nursery through Grade Twelve, including the Primary Years Programme (PYP), Middle Years Programme (MYP), and Diploma Programme (DP). The IB is an academically rigorous, college-preparatory program which is balanced by an emphasis on personal development and fostering artistic, athletic, and global citizenship endeavors. Under the aegis of the IB, the SCIS Mission is to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring learners who contribute positively to their communities. This mission has propelled SCIS to the forefront of education in Shanghai.
Discover the SCIS community for yourself – inquire today.