To develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring learners who contribute positively to their communities.
We will be defined as a school of excellence by each of the constituents of our school community and the Shanghai expatriate populations. We envision…
- a diverse student population from around the world
- a system in which every student has equal opportunities for success and for university admission, based on a variety of performance indicators
- a system meeting the needs of individual learners, rather than making the learner fit the system
- a system that allows students to achieve standards through inquiry-based, conceptual learning in motivating, authentic environments
- students who will be well-rounded, community contributors armed with the academic and personal skills to succeed in the adult world and who see the relevance and purpose in their learning
- staff who feel a high degree of purpose, job satisfaction, pride, and personal growth
- parents who feel informed, valued, and satisfied
- a strong connection to the Shanghai community and the perception that SCIS represents ‘excellence’
DEVELOPING THE WHOLE STUDENT
At SCIS, we focus on developing the whole student. Aside from the emphasis, we place on academics, we also believe it is important to focus on the fine arts, physical education, and community service.
Our education is individualized whereby we respect that each student has certain strengths and weaknesses, which need to be highlighted and improved upon respectively.
SUPPORTIVE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
We make the school fit the student, not the other way around. To support these goals, we focus on creating highly interactive classrooms and offering a wide variety of art, sports, and leadership activities as part of our extracurricular program, as well as annual service projects.