Working at SCIS
With over twenty years of rich tradition, SCIS offers a truly unique international experience. The SCIS community is unparalleled, consisting of a diverse mix of outstanding teachers, students, and parents representing over sixty nationalities and thirty-five languages, across six continents. SCIS leverages this unique community to provide a personalized approach to holistic education, ensuring all students have the opportunity to be successful.Your colleagues are experienced and dedicated teachers from around the English-speaking world. The majority of our teachers have been hired from overseas, and some have been recruited locally from the Shanghai expatriate community. A common theme of our faculty to date has been our flexibility in adapting to the needs of the schools during our continual growth. There has been a positive “can do” spirit, which we strive to maintain even now that we are very well “established.” SCIS hires highly qualified, experienced teachers, who are caring and compassionate. All positions require that applicants be experienced, certified professionals in their field, speak English fluently, be physically fit, and able to pass a criminal background check. Salary and benefit packages are competitive. Please check our website regularly for updates in employment opportunities. A listing of all our teachers (nationality, genders, etc.) will be made available to you. We will assign “buddies” from our returning teachers to whom you might want to talk about books, resources, curriculum, and so forth. Visit our faculty page, please click here.
Employment Application Process
- University of Northern Iowa (http://www.uni.edu/placement/overseas/)
- The International Educator (http://www.tieonline.com)
- Search Associates (http://www.searchassociates.com/)
- International Schools Services (http://www.iss.edu)
- Valid teaching credential or equivalent in subject area from a government institution (four-year degrees required)
- Three years full-time teaching experience in the grade level or subject area of our vacancy
- Familiarity with best practices in education
- Evidence of recent professional growth activities
- Experience and commitment to co-curricular and after school activities
- Experience working in a multi-cultural or international school setting
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary: SCIS offers a competitive salary package that reflects the years of experience a faculty member has accrued. For those faculty with 3-8 years our base salary begins at $49,000, at 8-12 years it is $51,000, and for those with more than 13 years of experience, the starting salary is $53,000. Those faculty members with Masters or Doctorate degrees will be provided enhancements of $2,000 or $4,000 to their base salary respectively.
- Host Country Taxes: SCIS will pay, on your behalf, all of the People’s Republic of China taxes accrued from your salary.
- Retirement/Personal Savings: All eligible faculty members will receive $3,000.00 in each of the first two years of employment. Thereafter, the payment will increase by $500 per year to a maximum of $5500
- Health Care: SCIS provides international faculty members with major health insurance which offers coverage worldwide, excluding the US (comprehensive emergency care is covered within the US).
- Housing: School provides housing for the first school year and a housing allowance the second year of employment and beyond.
- Airfare: SCIS will provide each teacher with US$3000 for an annual travel supplement upon submission of the airfare receipt, ticket, and boarding pass. An additional supplement is given for one dependent child per teacher (US$ 500 if under the age of 2 and US$ 1250 if age 2 year or older.
- Displacement Allowance: SCIS will pay a displacement allowance of US$1000 for each new teacher upon his/her arrival in Shanghai in August. (first year only)
- Extra Baggage Allowance: SCIS offers a one-time extra baggage allowance for actual costs up to the maximum amount of US$1500 payable after the presentation of applicable receipts (reimbursable for the first year only).
- Utilities: SCIS will pay, on your behalf, utility expenses of up to US$1500 per year.
- Transportation Cards: SCIS will provide each faculty member RMB 2,000 (approximately $300) to support their transportation needs.
- Wellness: SCIS will provide each faculty up to RMB2,000 (approximately $300) receipt-based benefit to support health, wellbeing, and general wellness efforts.
- Annual Health Check: SCIS will provide each faculty up to $500 for an annual health checkup.
- Dental Wellness: SCIS will provide each faculty member up to RMB3,000 (approximately $450) receipt-based benefit to support annual dental checkups and health.
- School Provided Lunch: SCIS will provide cafeteria lunch to faculty on all school days.
- Professional Development: SCIS’ provides professional development funding on an annual basis. For the initial two year contract, this amounts to $1,000.00 along with access to additional professional development experiences that are covered directly by the school. In a faculty member’s third year and beyond they may receive up to $1,500.00 in professional development funding.
- Student Tuition and Fees: All SCIS overseas hired teachers’ school-age children have SCIS tuition and fees covered up to two children if both parents are teaching and up to one child for a single teacher or a teacher with a non-teaching spouse. Tuition for additional children above the allowance is provided at a discounted amount. All children must meet admission requirements.
- Technology: SCIS provides each faculty member with the use of a school-owned Apple laptop.
- Leaves of Absence: Personal Leave, Sick Leave, Compassionate Leave, and Professional Leave. Paid Maternity Leave is available after the 2nd year of employment.
- Recruitment Leave: Up to 4 paid recruitment leave days (extended with 1 personal leave day) may be taken by an overseas-hired teacher in his/her third or more year, with pre-arrangement and approval of the Administration.
Overseas Hire Conditions
We’d like to provide a clear understanding of the conditions below before you accept our contract offer:
Shipping Shipping is not available for first year faculty members. The timing of your work permit and residence visa issuance simply will not allow you to receive a shipment and it would be returned rather than released to you. Instead, we recommend that you pay for “excess baggage” or send boxes by your national mail carrier. We do not recommend using courier services (e.g. Fed Ex, UPS, DHL) as custom clearance will be highly problematic and expensive.
Pets Please note that pets are not allowed in school provided housing, and many Shanghai landlords prohibit or avoid tenants with pets. In the event that a teacher acquires a pet once they are no longer in school provided housing, the teacher should understand that he or she would be responsible for any damage caused to the apartment, any damage or grievance filed by anyone who is bitten or disturbed by the pet, and for all of the registration and licensing regulations in Shanghai.
Certification All original certificates (Bachelor, Master and Doctorate degrees) are required to be authenticated with the People’s Republic of China Embassy/Consulate where you will be applying for the Z visa.
Visa, Work & Residence Permit Process
New Teacher Life
Professional Development Opportunities
Administrator and Teacher Duty Day Requirements
- Returning Administrators (Principals and Vice Principals): Should arrive on campus at least five calendar days before the new teacher arrival date. They are on duty for all teacher and student contact days within the school calendar.
- Newly-hired Administrators (Principals and Vice Principals) will report two weeks prior to the new hire teacher arrival date. They are on duty for all teacher and student contact days within the school calendar. They are on campus at least five calendar days after the last teacher duty day.
- Returning Coordinators (Athletics & Activities, Aquatics, IB, Early Years, and Student Support) and Librarians report to school at least two working days before returning teachers arrive, and are on duty for all class days and one work day after the last student day.
- Returning Teachers report one week prior to the first day of classes. They work on all class days, and are on duty at least one full day after the last student day.
- New Hired Teachers (Librarian/Media Specialists, Coordinators, Specialists and Counselors) report two weeks prior to the first day of classes. They follow end dates for returning teachers.
Additional Notes: This administrative calendar indicates the dates in which various faculty members are expected to be on campus and on duty.
Faculty members who have “part-time” designations as coordinators or librarians must follow the duty days as outlined for the coordinator/librarian positions.
Faculty who are unable to report to work on the indicated date for any reason must have approval from their direct supervisor. Additionally, they will have their base pay prorated according to their actual reporting date.
As noted in the calendar designations, administrators are expected to work additional days as needed to fulfill their duties. If an administrator seeks leave for any of the prescribed days, he or she must first get the approval from their direct supervisor. With preapproval of their direct supervisor, administrators may request one personal leave day during the teacher duty days.
Administrator vacation schedules must be organized in advance in order to ensure office coverage during holidays. The Director of Schools approves campus administrator leave. The Board of Directors approves leave for the Director of Schools.
Frequently Asked Questions
Getting Around, Children, Pets
LinksWikipedia: Shanghai – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai
Last updated May 23, 2019
scis System wide
Hongqiao ECE Campus
For the 2019-2020 school year, the following positions are available at SCIS (Hongqiao ECE Campus) as either definite or tentative openings:
- Kindergarten Teacher
Hongqiao Main Campus
Currently no openings available.
Currently no openings available.