Back-to-School night at SCIS is the perfect opportunity to start the year off strong and build the school-home relationship.
Our annual event is there for you to meet your child’s teachers, other parents, and learn more about the curriculum and school programs. Most importantly, Back-to-School night is a time to establish a parent-teacher partnership.
Here are some tips to ensure you can make the most out of Back-to-School night:
1. Devise a strategy if you need to visit more than one classroom.Think ahead of time of the classrooms and learning spaces you’d like to attend. If both parents can attend, split up the time accordingly and take turns in different classrooms.
2. Don’t ask specific questions about your child.
Ask questions about homework, the curriculum and field trips, but try not to ask specific questions about your child that may not be useful to other parents. These questions can be better answered by scheduling a one-on-one meeting with teachers in the future.
Here are a few good questions to ask:
- Should I call or email the teacher?
- How can I check on my son’s or daughter’s progress in school?
- How do I know what the homework is?
- Is there anything you’d like me to do?
- How can I help? May I volunteer in the classroom?
3. Bring a pen and paper.Come prepared to take notes. Important information may be written on the board or teachers may give have a presentation up on the screen. Phones can be a little distracting, so we recommend sticking to writing things down the old way!
4. Be ready to volunteer.
There are many ways for you to volunteer your time at SCIS, either with school-wide events or in the classroom. Think ahead at your time commitment and how you’d like to help contribute to the school community. Our fantastic Parents and Friends Association are always looking for parent volunteers, so be on the lookout for their booth.
5. Get to know other parents.
Lastly, Back-to-School night is also a great time to meet other parents. You’ll have a bit of free time in between when walking to different classrooms, so strike up a conversation with other, like-minded, parents.
Parents are partners in ensuring student success. By attending our Back-to-School night, you will be one step closer to maximizing the learning experience for your child.
We look forward to welcoming you on campus to learn about how students learn at SCIS.
SCIS. A Caring Community.